Reminder: The next Pack Meeting is at 7:00PM on Tuesday October 12 at Riverside Presbyterian, in the Social Hall. We need a couple things from you:
1. Please bring in your popcorn take order form. We’re going to be awarding a prize for the scout who has sold the most popcorn before the pack meeting. Please make a note of the total of popcorn sold thus far (in pencil, on the back, or on a Post It note or something) and we’ll try and make this quick and fun for everyone.
2. Riverside Presbyterian CARERS committee has asked us to bring a canned food item. Anything at all, so long as it’s non-perishable. Bring something if you’re able.
3. We’ve been asked by the family of a Marine who’s stationed in Afghanistan to help them with some basic needs. Here’s the letter we received:
Dear Friends and Supporters of our Troops,
My cousin’s son is a Marine on his third tour of duty in the Middle East. He is stationed in Afghanistan, and my cousin tells me that the troops are in need of basic supplies, treats, and letters of support from home. The PX on the base usually is poorly supplied, and the situation will be exacerbated by the arrival of additional forces, expected soon.
We hope to collect boxes of these everyday items, as well as letters of support, and ship them off to Afghanistan to the base where they are stationed some time before Thanksgiving.
Please help out by contributing any of these items, whatever you can spare to help with the shipping, or both, so that we can show these courageous men and women that we are behind them as they put their lives on the line to defend us, the American way of life, and our Constitution.
Please feel free to include letters of support from your family, but be sure not to include any identifiers that would reveal the point of origin of the letter or the boxes, should the boxes or their contents fall into the wrong hands along the way.
Below is a list of the items that you might include:
Please DO NOT send any food items that contain pork.
DO NOT send anything that is in a glass container. Plastic or metal containers ONLY.
If you think anything has the remote possibility of exploding or being crushed open , please put it in a zip-lock bag, making certain all the air is pushed out before sealing. (ie: coffee, toothpaste, fruit cups).
Please put any items that are in liquid into sealed plastic bags.
Food and Snacks
- Dry snacks, e.g. crackers
- Fruit cups
- Energy Bars
- Tuna or Salmon in foil packs
- Microwaveable foods, e.g. macaroni and cheese
- Powdered Drinks
- Toothpaste, toothbrushes, and dental floss
- Shampoo and conditioner (zip lock baggie)
- Razors (men’s and women’s)
- Deodorant (men’s and women’s)
- Lip balm
- Ladies’ personal products
- (Note: the troops are not allowed to wear contact lenses)
- Pre-paid Phone cards
- Cards, holiday and non holiday, where all they have to do is sign their name and address the envelope
- Sheets (twin XL)
- Towels, especially body sized
- Clean rags (for cleaning equipment)
- Paintbrushes (for cleaning equipment), especially fine, small, and medium tips
- Plain t-shirts (no logos or designs)-no writing or graphics at allv
- Boot socks… white or black
- Knit hats and gloves in DARK colors (green black, brown, grey)
- Unused books, DVD’s, CD’s, crossword books
Thank you, in advance, for your support of our troops overseas. Let’s try to make their holiday season just a bit happier!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ! (from my cousin)
p.s. If you have a source for obtaining “book sized” boxes, please let us know.
THANK YOU, from Pack 24.
See you Tuesday at 7:00PM. Bring your popcorn take order form for a chance at great prizes!