Over the past 12 months, Pack 24 has ranged from Warren Dunes in Michigan to Manitowoc, Wisconsin for great camping and overnights. Those were very cool events, but we have a great place to visit right in our back yard – the Brookfield Zoo. We have reserved 70 spots for a Sleepover Safari on Friday, October 25 and hope you can join us.
Here is the awesome agenda (the Zoo folks say this could be tweaked as circumstances dictate):
Friday Night (October 25)
- 6:00 p.m. – Registration begins in the Discovery Center
- 6:00 – 7:00 – Outdoor games and sleep area set-up
- 7:00 – 8:00 – Pizza Dinner in Discovery Center
- 8:00 – 9:00 – Various activities and crafts which may include some of the following:
- Creating behavioral enrichment for the animals at Brookfield Zoo
- Exploring animal artifacts
- Making your own fossil!
- Learning what it’s like to be an animal trainer
- Snow volcanoes
- 9:00 – 10:00 – Hike to explore Brookfield Zoo after dark
- 10:00 – 10:30 – Ice Cream Social
- 10:30 – Getting ready for bed and the start of a feature film that explores the natural wonders of the world (Note: At this time lights are dimmed and will be completely “lights out” upon the film’s finish
Saturday Morning (October 26)
- 7:00 – Waking up and beginning to pack up sleeping supplies
- 7:30 – 8:15 – Breakfast buffet!
- 8:15 – 8:45 – Finish collecting belongings and preparing for morning hike around Brookfield Zoo
- 8:45 – 9:45 – Hike around the Zoo’s grounds to see how the animals begin the day.
- 9:45 – See animals receive behavioral enrichment that your group helped prepare the night before!
- 10:15 – Presentation of overnight patches and final departure
To encourage maximum participation in this outing, the pack leadership will be subsidizing the $60 per person charge so that scouts are only $25 each and adults are $50 each. We are going to permit school-aged siblings (i.e. six or older) to attend this event, and their costs is just $40 each. The Zoo requires payment in full by September 23 and registration is open on a first-come, first-paid, first served basis. Registration will close on the 23rd, and payments are due on this date.
Note that you can use any remaining Kamp Bux credit from last year’s popcorn sales to defray the cost of this event. If you are not sure if you have any Kamp Bux remaining, send us an email at email@example.com and we’ll let you know your status.
Like most overnights these days, there are waivers and medical forms that are required by the Zoo before you can attend. The Zoo also has some common sense rules such as no alcohol, supervising, the kids, etc. So click here to review these required documents.
- Zoo Parental Consent Form
- Zoo Overnight Medical Form
- Guest Agreement (only the Pack needs to fill this out, but be aware of the Zoo’s rules).
You can also review this map of how to get to the Discovery Center at the zoo and a list of what to expect, what to bring, etc.
If you want to join us, click here to go right to our online registration form. Our Treasurer Mr. Ricco humbly requests that you use PayPal for this transaction to reduce his paperwork, but since everyone may not have an account, there is an option to pay with check (or Kamp Bux).
One last incentive – all scouts that attend will receive a patch to commemorate the event!
See you there!