- Where are we going? Family-owned White Pines Ranch is located in Oregon, IL, which is about two hours west of Riverside, click here for Google Maps directions. Its located on more than 200 acres of open land with numerous trails for horseback riding and hiking.
- What are we going to do? Well, partner – when you talk about ranches, you’re talking horses. We’re going to learn some good ole’ fashioned horse safety before going on two separate trail rides during our visit. Any scouts that want to get up close and personal with the horses will be given a chance to help care for the same horses that we ride. If that wasn’t enough, there is hiking, fossil hunting, hayrides, games and campfire activities.
- Wait – are we staying there two nights? You’ve hit a bullseye there partner. Don’t worry though, bunkhouse lodging and all meals are provided by the ranch. We’ll arrive on Friday night in time to settle in, eat a square meal, and learn some horse basics. On Saturday, we’ll have a full day of activities and three meals before some campfire activities and then hitting the sack. After a hearty Sunday morning breakfast, we’ll probably have some more time for another ride before we pack up to return to Riverside.
- Can you tell me more about the accommodations? White Pines has a number of bunkhouses, but until we know how many folks from Pack 24 will be heading out there, and the number of other groups that will be on site, we won’t know the specifics. The staff will try to provide some separate sleeping arrangements for different genders, but its absolutely OK for moms and/or sisters to attend. We’ll maybe the scouts won’t agree that’s OK for sisters to attend, but its fine by White Pines. The bunkhouses are heated and have showers.
- Is this too good to be true? I know there partner, it sounds like a great time for some energetic scouts. Of course, there is the slight matter of the fee. The cost is $140 per person (adults or siblings). The pack committee has made a decision to subsidize scouts, so thecost per scout is $70 each.
- Anything else? White Pines will require all horseback riders to sign the attached horse rental agreement & waiver. There is also a game room and souvenir shop (Pack 24 will buy commemorative White Pines patches for all scouts that attend).
- OK – I’m sold, what do I need to do? Click here to access the Pack 24 on-line registration form. White Pines requires us to give them a firm headcount and non-refundable payment 30 days in advance of our arrival. Therefore our registration willclose on Friday, March 16, and payment is due at the same time. Your registration won’t be complete until payment is received.
If you have any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll be providing more information on this outing in the coming weeks. It’s going to be a great trip and we hope you and your scout can join us.