Greetings Pack 24, hope everyone is having a great start to 2017. We have a lot going on so please take the time to read through this email!
- During January and February, we do not have our normally scheduled pack meetings on the second Tuesday night of each month due to the Pinewood Derby and Blue and Gold Banquet (read on for more details). Your den leaders will provide you with the schedule for any den activities during January & February.
- Our Snow Tubing trip to Wilmot Mountain is this Friday, 1/13/17 from 4-6PM. You are welcome to arrive at any point during the day to enjoy all the activities Wilmot has to offer. Please note that the tubing hill does not open until 4PM but there are other activities, lessons, etc… which you can find on the website at http://www.wilmotmountain.com/. At 3:30PM, I will be at the check in area with coupons that you can redeem for your tubes and helmets. I will email each family a waiver that they will need to turn in prior to receiving their coupon. We already have 60 people signed up but there is still room for more! Signup will close at 12pm on Wednesday. Check out the previous post on the page for all the signup details. Remember- this is a FREE event for Scouts and discounted to $15 for adults and $10 for siblings. You are free to bring in your own snacks or there are refreshments that can be purchased at the lodge.
- The Adult Pinewood Derby is on Friday, 1/27/17 which is the night before the scout pinewood. This event is meant to be a fun event and provide an opportunity for the parents and scouts to work together on the cars. The parent cars are meant to abide by the same rules as the scouts. There will be 2 winners – Most Creative and First Place for the fastest car.
Key points are as follows:
- Cost is $20
- Contact Hutt Rubio at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up and arrange to get your car kit.
- Racing starts @ 7pm, check in begins @6pm. Event lasts until racing is completed, but should be less than one hour.
- Pit crew area will be available for final adjustments.
- After the race is complete the parent cars will remain in the gym to placed on display for ALL to see on Pinewood Derby day. This way if scouts do not attend on Friday night they can see the cars and the 2 winners from Friday.
- After Race Event – adults are welcome to come for an after race party to brag on their hard work and dedication…..Location is TBD. Special prize for the winner.
- Cub Scout Pinewood Derby is on Saturday, 1/28/2017. Car kits were distributed to scouts in December so please contact your den leader if you haven’t received one. If you missed our Pinewood Derby Workshop, you can still go to the Cub Scout Store in LaGrange this Saturday, 1/14 from 10AM-2PM and they will CUT THE CAR FOR YOU! We will have more details posted about the derby over the next few weeks but remember that scouts must check-in cars in the morning so racing can begin promptly at 1pm. Full racing rules can be found here: Pinewood Derby Rules for Pack 24. The best part of the pinewood is that it is FREE, and there are many prizes for fastest cars and best designs; categories include:
- Most Creative
- A Pinewood Derby Planning Meeting will be this Thursdy, 1/12 at 7:30PM at 34 East Lounge. If you are interested in getting involved with the Pinewood Derby then plan to stop by. We will be discussing the track setup that occurs Friday night, the computer program and day of event activities. All are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- Blue & Gold Banquet on Sunday, 2/26/2017. This will be a late afternoon event at the Riverside Golf Club. Any Webelos II that have earned the Arrow of Light award will be recognized and all of our Webelos II will cross-over to the ranks of Boy Scouts. There will be entertainment and great food for all the scouts. Please watch for more details to come later in the month.
Thank for taking the time to read this! See everyone on the hill!