Come join the fun this Saturday at the Scout Cabin camp out. We have 85 people registered to attend so far, and plenty of room for more. Here’s what you need to know:
Preliminary Schedule (subject to fine tuning)
- 1:00 Begin set-up of tents if you are going to stay overnight.
- 1:30 Presentation from Village of Riverside Forester Mike Collins
- 2:00 Removal of invasive plant species. Bring your own shovels, pruning shears and gloves to eradicate garlic mustard and buckthorn in the woods near the cabin. Be sure to wear long pants or jeans and long shirts, to protect against scrapes and itches. It will be chilly so long sleeves will keep you warm as well. If you participate in this service project your scout will complete one of the requirements for the Cub Scout World Conservation Award.
- 3:00 Activities begin
- Knot instruction and demonstration
- Pine cone crafts
- Zip line
- Scavenger hunt
- Shelter building contest
- 5:00 Pizza dinner (bring your own camp chairs since we are eating outside)
- 6:00 Campfire and skits / songs put on by the boy scouts of troop 24, flag retirement ceremony and taps
- 7:00 S’mores!
- 8:00 Movie
- We rise and shine on Sunday morning for a breakfast and clean up.
- Tent & tarp
- Sleeping bag, air mattress, extra blankets to stay warm, pillows
- Some people have been known to bring earplugs to dampen the sounds of your neighbor’s snores.
- Lanterns / head lights to see in the dark
- Camp chairs (good for relaxing and critical for sitting down at dinner)
- Games or books for any downtime your kids may need
- Warm clothes / hats (its going to be chilly)
- Water bottle
- Personal care effects.
If you haven’t turned in popcorn to your den leader (or designee) bring it to the camp out to turn in.
The whole family is invited to come, and the cost is a low low $5 per person. Please click here to register ASAP so we have an accurate head count for food and supplies.