It may seem like a long time from now, but the Pack 24 cub scouts will be heading out to Chicago’s Adler Planetarium on Friday, March 15 for an “Astro Overnight.”
- What’s involved? Don’t miss your chance to spend a night at the museum! At an Adler Astro-Overnight, you can dream of landing on the Moon, exploring the surface of Mars, and shooting past asteroids. Educators will lead you through your Solar System adventure with hands-on activities, a special Grainger Sky Theater show and award-winning exhibits. This program is designed for ages 6-10. Light snacks, continental breakfast and two sky shows are included.
- What’s the Schedule? The Astro-Overnight program starts at 6pm. Between 6pm and 10pm, participants will enjoy a combination of fun astronomy activities, night sky telescope viewing (weather permitting), a customized sky show, evening snack time, and exhibit free time. Some activities have limited times that will be noted on your program schedule. Participants receive their schedule of activities upon arrival. Check-out is at 8am the next morning. Participants can arrive as early as 5:30pm to check-in and purchase dinner in Galileo’s Café. The café will be open from 5:30pm – 7pm with dinner options available for purchase.
- What’s the cost? The cost is $55 per person, scout or akelya. Yes, all scouts must be accompanied by at least one adult for this overnight event. Parking is an extra $22 per vehicle at a nearby lot.
- Sounds great, how do I sign up? Click here to register, which includes the option of using PayPal to cover the registration fee. Jeff Lukas will serve as the Pack’s event coordinator, and will collect check or cash payments at upcoming pack meetings. Note that a child waiver is required by the folks at the Planetarium, you can access it through this link: Astro-Overnight Child Waiver.
- When is the registration deadline? Tuesday, December 11, 2012, which is the date of our December pack meeting. The Adler staff has advised us that they expect the event to be sold out by the end of December. In order to increase our reservation from our current level 50, we need complete our registration in the event we increase our group size.
- What if my Scout is a Webelos II, and will cross-over to the BSA in February? Your scout is certaintly welcome to participate in this final event with the rest of the cub scouts.
- Are siblings permitted to attend? Yes, we note the Adler states the programs are designed for children aged 6 to 10.
If you have any other questions, check out their website or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. FYI – if you had March 1 as the date of this overnight on your calendar, you’re not crazy – we just changed it to March 15. Last week we realized that the original date would conflict with the Pancake Breakfast on March 2.